September 18, 2011

NFL Week 2 Picks Against the Spread

Season: 9-6-1          Last Week: 9-6-1

All lines courtesy of the New York Post

Oakland at Buffalo (-3)

In these situations, I usually try to take the team who didn't have to play the Week 1 late Monday night game and then travel over 2,500 miles for a 1:00 p.m. kickoff.

Jacksonville (+9.5) at New York Jets

Trust me, the last thing this is is an endorsement of the third McCown brother and the 2011 Jacksonville Jaguars. Instead, it's a feeling that Jacksonville keeps it close with a team that always is in tight games.

Kansas City at Detroit (-8)

The only way to celebrate the Lions being the biggest favorites they've been in over a decade is by picking them to cover as the biggest favorites they've been in over a decade!

Arizona at Washington (-3.5)

Washington: You make fun of the Redskins all year, and now you're taking us as 3.5 favorites? What's up with that, Tyler?
Tyler: Settle down, Washington. I liked what I saw on Sunday, and if Cam Newton could throw for over 400 yards on the road at Arizona, I'll take my chances with Grossman in a 1:00 p.m. start. No hard feelings?
Washington: No hard feelings.
Tyler: Thanks. I love your city by the way.

Chicago (+6.5) at New Orleans

Really wish I could watch this game to get a stronger sense of these two teams, especially the Bears. Aside from Baltimore-Pittsburgh, Chicago's 30-12 victory over Atlanta was the most eye-opening score from Sunday.

Baltimore at Tennessee (+6)

There's nothing like Chris Johnson getting nine carries last week, Mike Munchak getting killed in the media for it and then me looking at my fantasy schedule and seeing Johnson on my opponent's team for Week 2.

Green Bay (-10) at Carolina

I'm going to go ahead and say Cam Newton will have a little bit more trouble with the Green Bay defense than he had with Arizona in his debut.

Seattle at Pittsburgh (-14)

Tarvaris Jackson. At Pittsburgh. Yep, that's about all I need to know here. And with this unofficially being the most popular pick in suicide pool history, I think pool participants would actually commit suicide if Seattle won this game.

Tampa Bay (+3) at Minnesota

Not if, but when I complain about all the bad beats I've had this year at the end of the season, please remind me that I took Green Bay, Minnesota and San Francisco in Week 1.

Cleveland (-2) at Indianapolis

I think it was around 1:40 p.m. last week that I decided to concede the Indianapolis-Houston game; a new personal record!

San Diego (+7) at New England

My favorite part from last Monday's Dolphins-Patriots game: Leading 31-17 in the 4th quarter from his own one, every coach either runs (95 percent likely) or calls play action. Instead, Bill Belichick says screw it, and calls for a shotgun five wide receiver streak to Wes Welker that goes for a 99-yard touchdown. Too funny.

Cincinnati (+3.5) at Denver

I could care less about this game, so why not use this space to recap my fantasy football week? My team in my main league started off 1-0, thanks to my Week 1 opponent having to replace the injured Arian Foster and Peyton Manning with backups. Will I take the victory, even though his top two players were out? Your damn right I will! Here's my roster in that league (12-team, PPR scoring):

Eli Manning
Larry Fitzgerald, Brandon Marshall
Frank Gore, Jahvid Best
Jason Witten
Mario Manningham at the flex position.

Dallas (-3) at San Francisco
Houston (-3) at Miami

Two similar situations, and I'm a little surprised the spreads aren't higher in both cases. The Cowboys took a 24-10 lead in the 4th quarter against the Jets. Now, they're only favored by three against an NFC West team? The Texans took care of business, and now take on the Dolphins, who just gave up over 600 yards of offense. Because I don't think either San Francisco or Miami can win, I thought they'd be getting at least 3.5.

Philadelphia (-2.5) at Atlanta

I know Matt Ryan doesn't lose at home. I know taking the Falcons as an underdog in the Georgia Dome seems like a no-brainer. But I still can't get the picture out of my head of Green Bay trouncing the Falcons in Atlanta in last year's playoffs, and then there's last week's 30-12 road loss in Chicago.

St. Louis at New York Giants (-6)

The injury-depleted Giants, coming off a 28-14 loss to the Redskins, take on the injury-depleted Rams, coming off a 31-13 loss to the Eagles, in an arms race to see which team can hold off potentially crippling injuries the longest.

Enjoy the games!

















Follow TylerTomea on Twitter