December 24, 2010

September 9, 2010 NFL Week 1: And So It Begins

As I took the USA Today sports section out to breakfast today, there was a noticeable bounce in my step. The football void I had been living with for the past 4+ months would be filled tonight, and I'd be given the gift of 17 straight weeks of a full slate of NFL games. But while thumbing through the preview there was a mention (as has been talked about throughout the summer) of there being no 2011 NFL season. Now this is not the thing I wanted to read when I'm hours away from Minnesota at New Orleans. 
So I thought to myself, What would I do on Sunday afternoons without the NFL? Do homework? Watch the WNBA Finals? Kill myself? But then I decided to think positively. There's a lot to look forward to this season- trash talking in fantasy football, backdoor covers against the spread, Raheem Morris' coaching schemes- so now's not the time to be having thoughts about a potential lockout. 
With that being said, I feel rejuvenated, and ready to continue my longest standing relationship- 19 years- with the NFL.
Week 1 
Minnesota (+5) at New Orleans
There may not be any words to describe the atmosphere at the Superdome tonight. Electric? Stirring? Psychotic? It seems like the defending Super Bowl champion never loses its Thursday night home opener. But if the Vikings just turn the ball over four times tonight rather than five, they may have a chance.
Miami (-3) at Buffalo
A Trent Edwards-led Buffalo squad getting three points against a solid Miami team? Why yes, I'd love to take the Dolphins! Miami "needs" this win- look at their early season schedule- and I don't think Chan Gailey will stop them from getting it. In all seriousness, C.J. Spiller does scare me a bit. He officially brings the count of "Exciting Players on the Bills" from 0 to 1.
Atlanta at Pittsburgh (+2)
For some reason, I took Dennis Dixon last year in a Sunday night matchup in Baltimore. He played OK- but made a crucial mistake that led to a Ravens win and a tough pick em loss for this guy. I really like Atlanta this year, and Matt Ryan is as solid as they come. But I think Pittsburgh could be playing the "Nobody believes in us without Ben, screw everyone!" card  and win their home opener.
Detroit (+6.5) at Chicago
This is a game where Detroit may be a little better than we think and Chicago may be a little worse. Stafford is in his second year, Megatron's doing work, and the Lions may have found their first competent coach in years in Jim Schwartz. The Jay Cutler/Mike Martz combo should be interesting, to say the least.
Cleveland (+3) at Tampa Bay
Emanating from Raymond James Stadium, it's the 2010 Suck Bowl! Anyone who has dreamed of seeing an Eric Mangini-Raheem Morris chess match finally gets their chance this Sunday at 1:00. On an  interesting/sad note, a (distraught) Cleveland fan mentioned to me that every Browns game this year is at 1:00. Come on, not even a Baltimore-Cleveland weird NFL Network Thursday game?
Cincinnati at New England (-4.5)
There are very few times when I pick against Tom Brady/Bill Belichick. And everytime I do, they seem to make me regret it. While Rex Ryan is running his mouth, the Pats have stayed very quiet this offseason, which would make me nervous if I'm a fan of NYJ/MIA. I think New England comes out and make a statement against the Bengals.
Denver (+2.5) at Jacksonville
Jacksonville is getting pretty close to Oakland Raiders territory for me. And I mean dangerously close. In certain games they look good, and in others they look god-awful. I like Denver in this one, even though all their impact players have been traded, injured or something else terrible has happened to them.
Carolina at New York (-6.5)
Another meeting between Carolina and New York means we will get closer to answering the question, "Has Steve Smith (Giants) surpassed Steve Smith (Panthers) as THE Steve Smith of the NFL?" A big game by Steve Smith (Giants) could definitely shift the tide in his favor, while Steve Smith (Panthers) is looking to "go after" New York safety Michael Johnson. Steven Smith (American University student) likes Big Blue, as do I.
Indianapolis (-2) at Houston
Yearly script for HOU-IND games: Houston is JACKED at kickoff. Schaub throws a few touchdown passes, and gets Texans out to big, early lead. Houston forgets the game is 4 quarters. Peyton Manning lights up Texans secondary and pulls Indy in front. With game on the line, Schaub fumbles/throws pick/gets sacked/turns ball over on downs. And this happens everytime!
Oakland at Tennessee (-6) 
I strongly considered going with Oakland here. No, I'm not lying. Jason Campbell doesn't make bonehead plays, (although he can't really move a team down the field, which is kind of important) and the defense has been improved. I've read some articles about Oakland being a sleeper team. But they're on the road, and until I see them actually win these games, I'm staying away from them. Far, far away.
Green Bay (-3) at Philadelphia
Very nice Sunday afternoon game here. The Packers are getting a lot of hype after their play in the preseason, and are a dream for fantasy owners across the country. For the Eagles, it's going to be strange not seeing #5 under center as the young guns take centerstage. Two tough openers for the teams expected to compete atop the NFC North. 
San Francisco (-3) at Seattle
If San Francisco doesn't make the playoffs, I will not be able to comprehend/understand it for at least a few years. They're in a division with Seattle, St. Louis, and Arizona. Let this sink in for a little bit. Seattle. St. Louis. Arizona. As far as the Seahawks, we will find out if Pete Carroll does in fact know what he's doing this Sunday.
Arizona (-4) at St. Louis 
Quick thing on Matt Leinart: Has anyone had a sharper decline over these past five years than him? In 2005, he's playing in the Rose Bowl and going for his third consecutive national championship at USC. Now? He's backing up Schaub in Houston. As for the game, I think this spread is a bit too low. What makes us think the Rams are that much improved from last season?
Dallas (-3.5) at Washington
It's Dallas Week here in the nation's capital. Comments I've heard over the past few days include, "I'd rather have McNabb than Peyton," "Who the hell is Donovan throwing to this year?" "Haynesworth is a (expletive)" and my personal favorite, "I miss Jim Zorn." Important game here for the Redskins, as their opening six are very, very tough, but I like Dallas to win and cover.
Baltimore (+2.5) at New York
Looking forward to this one. It's a game I've been waiting for since the schedule was announced. Intense. Hard-hitting. Emotional. All the things I look for on a Monday night! After the greatest season of Hard Knocks ever, I had to step back, look at the game with my head, and take Baltimore. Speaking of Hard Knocks, can we get the Raiders on next year? Please?
San Diego (-4.5) at Kansas City
Not sure how I feel about two games on Monday Night, even if it is the opening weekend. Plus, the west coast game usually involves the Charges laying the smackdown on (Insert Raiders/Chiefs). I don't see any difference here, even with Coach Weis calling the plays. Plus, the Chiefs have earned the dubious distinction of worst Madden team of the year, as voted on by my peers.
I hope everyone enjoys the spectacle that is the first NFL Sunday of the year. I will be doing play-by-play for an AU men's soccer game. On Sunday. At friggin 1:00.
tylertomea@gmail.com
Follow TylerTomea on Twitter